The Latest From Moana...
New single and video ‘Maiea’ released (26 Jun)
Check out the new video Maiea
‘Maiea’ is a call for peace; an incantation in Māori to soothe and calm a troubled mind. ‘Maiea’ is the fifth track from the upcoming album Ono by Moana & The Tribe. Due for release in 2023, Ono comprises six unique songs that celebrate te reo and raise the visibility of endangered languages through collaborations with indigenous vocalists.
Lyrics to ‘Maiea’ were penned by Scotty Morrison and Megan Henderson (Scotland). Music written by Paddy Free. The video for ‘Maiea’ was filmed by Vinnie Carter (NZ) and Paul Jennings (Scotland). It features Manawanui Maniapoto-Mills, Moana’s daughter;
New Music Video (1 May)
We are in the throes of editing a music video for a new song (co-written by myself, Scotty Morrison, Paddy Free and Megan Henderson). Maiea is a collaboration between us and Scottish singer Megan - in Māori and Gaelic. It really is beautiful. Footage was shot in both NZ and Scotland. Can't wait to drop this one out there.
New single ‘Āio ana’ released (23 Sep)
watch song .Āio ana’ is a song of peace; a lullaby for some, a meditation for others. It is the fourth track from the upcoming album Ono by Moana & The Tribe. Due for release in 2022, Ono comprises six unique songs that celebrate and raise the visibility of endangered indigenous languages. The reo lyrics of ‘Āio ana’ were penned by Scotty Morrison, with music written by Paddy Free and Moana Maniapoto. The Sámi language of Northern Europe is the contribution of guest vocalist and iconic Sámi singer Mari Boine (Norway).
Featured MusicView all music
Rima26 Sep 2014
Whole World's Watching14 Aug 2014
Upokohue13 Sep 2015
- Independent Music NZ Classic Album Award for TAHI by Moana & the Moahunters
Distinguished Alumni (University of Auckland)
- Debut NZ performance by "TÅª" Auckland Writers festival / Fest' Napuan (Vanuatu)
- First NZ Tour by Moana & the Tribe (Arts on Tour) / Launch of TÅª internationally
- Inducted into the APRA Amcos NZ Music Hall of Fame
- RIMA, finalist for APRA Maioha Awards / NZ Music Awards / Waiata Music Awards
- Album Release 'RIMA' / Performed Boomerang Project at Womad NZ, Sydney Opera House, Hebcelt/Glasgow Commonwealth Games
- 30 gigs across Norway, Italy, Germany, Hungary, Poland, South Korea & Australia
- Album Release 'The Best of.'
Performed Message Sticks, Sydney Opera House
- Mega-tour taking in Canada, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Germany and Taiwan
- Album Release 'Acoustic'
Performed Shanghai World Expo
- Performed Venice Biennale