The Latest From Moana...
New single ‘Āio ana’ released (23 Sep)
watch song .Āio ana’ is a song of peace; a lullaby for some, a meditation for others. It is the fourth track from the upcoming album Ono by Moana & The Tribe. Due for release in 2022, Ono comprises six unique songs that celebrate and raise the visibility of endangered indigenous languages. The reo lyrics of ‘Āio ana’ were penned by Scotty Morrison, with music written by Paddy Free and Moana Maniapoto. The Sámi language of Northern Europe is the contribution of guest vocalist and iconic Sámi singer Mari Boine (Norway).
Aroha (25 Aug)
We are preparing to drop a new song out into the world to celebrate Māori Language Week. It is a collaboration with Saami star Mari Boine, following on from previous collaborations with Shellie Morris (Australia), Inka Mbing (Taiwan) and Jani Lauzon (Canada) - all indigenous first nations women with powerful voices - gamechangers. This new song is incredibly soothing, something we need in these Covid times. Lyrics by Scotty Morrison. Music by Paddy Free.
2021 (21 Jun)
It's been a great start to this year. We won Best Current Affairs series at the Voyager Media Wards (after picking up the Supreme Winner at the Māori Journalism Awards). Moana & the Hapū performed at the Auckland Arts Festival and I also hosted a panel at the Auckland Writers Festival.
Tapapakanga Splore Festival - Main stage - 10:30 pm
On sale now (probably already sold out)
Featured MusicView all music
Rima26 Sep 2014
Whole World's Watching14 Aug 2014
Upokohue13 Sep 2015
- Independent Music NZ Classic Album Award for TAHI by Moana & the Moahunters
Distinguished Alumni (University of Auckland)
- Debut NZ performance by "TÅª" Auckland Writers festival / Fest' Napuan (Vanuatu)
- First NZ Tour by Moana & the Tribe (Arts on Tour) / Launch of TÅª internationally
- Inducted into the APRA Amcos NZ Music Hall of Fame
- RIMA, finalist for APRA Maioha Awards / NZ Music Awards / Waiata Music Awards
- Album Release 'RIMA' / Performed Boomerang Project at Womad NZ, Sydney Opera House, Hebcelt/Glasgow Commonwealth Games
- 30 gigs across Norway, Italy, Germany, Hungary, Poland, South Korea & Australia
- Album Release 'The Best of.'
Performed Message Sticks, Sydney Opera House
- Mega-tour taking in Canada, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Germany and Taiwan
- Album Release 'Acoustic'
Performed Shanghai World Expo
- Performed Venice Biennale