The Latest From Moana...
2020 NAU MAI HAERE MAI (10 Jan)
A tragic start to 2020 with the fires in Australia. The sepia skies above Auckland this week were reminiscent of the call to war from the US to Iran. And all the while, the people power demands urgent action on the climate crisis. At the same time, indigenous people's push for greater power to counteract the rising obsession with consumerism, individualism, racism - all the "isms."
With two new music videos ready to drop and two others in pre-production, a gig at Splore Festival on Feb 21, a performance at the Auckland Arts Festival, the album ONO to complete and talk of gigs in Europe - 2020 is all go. Oh. And another season directing the incredible documentary series THE NEGOTIATORS.
Next month, we kick into season two of our current affairs series on Māori Television. Proud to be the flagship show on New Zealand's only indigenous TV broadcasting platform. Ready to rock into a year of political drama as both NZ and the US head into elections.
Doing it for the bubbas.
#PeoplePower #JoinTheDots #MoanaNOW
NEW MUSIC (26 Nov)
Getting ready to shoot a new music video this weekend for our song HUAKIRANGI. It will be directed by Vinnie Carter, thanks to Te Mangai Paaho. Beautiful lyrics courtesy of Scotty Morrison and grooves by Paddy Free. Guest vocalist is the extraordinary Shellie Morris.
THE NEGOTIATORS (28 Sep)
Have been busy directing my first documentary series. The Negotiators is screening on Māori Television at 8pm on Monday nights or ON DEMAND. Seven 26-minute episodes of real people telling the real story of this nation through treaty settlements. It's been getting great reviews and I'm very proud of it. Please watch and share. PS Paddy Free has composed a wonderful soundtrack to complement the kōrero of each of our Negotiators.
NEW RELEASE (23 May)
Out today on iTunes, Deezer, Amazon and the rest - Tū (Moana & the Tribe featuring the vocals of the extraordinary Jani Lauzon). Stomping big drum n bass "world music" celebrating the ritual of tohi - dedication of a child to the God of War to strengthen and empower them. Get it now!
Featured MusicView all music
Rima26 Sep 2014
Whole World's Watching14 Aug 2014
Upokohue13 Sep 2015
- Independent Music NZ Classic Album Award for TAHI by Moana & the Moahunters
Distinguished Alumni (University of Auckland)
- Debut NZ performance by "TŪ" Auckland Writers festival / Fest' Napuan (Vanuatu)
- First NZ Tour by Moana & the Tribe (Arts on Tour) / Launch of TŪ internationally
- Inducted into the APRA Amcos NZ Music Hall of Fame
- RIMA, finalist for APRA Maioha Awards / NZ Music Awards / Waiata Music Awards
- Album Release 'RIMA' / Performed Boomerang Project at Womad NZ, Sydney Opera House, Hebcelt/Glasgow Commonwealth Games
- 30 gigs across Norway, Italy, Germany, Hungary, Poland, South Korea & Australia
- Album Release 'The Best of.'
Performed Message Sticks, Sydney Opera House
- Mega-tour taking in Canada, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Germany and Taiwan
- Album Release 'Acoustic'
Performed Shanghai World Expo
- Performed Venice Biennale